Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Kitchen Maid

The Kitchen Maid
The Lady of Shalott
the night watch by rembrandt
the Night Watch
"Ah!" said the widow. "I told 'ee how 'twould be!" ¡¡¡¡ "But it shan't be! I have not told my husband of his visit; it is not necessary to trouble him about it, as I never mean to see Jude any more. But I am going to make my conscience right on my duty to Richard--by doing a penance--the ultimate thing. I must!" ¡¡¡¡ "I wouldn't--since he agrees to it being otherwise, and it has gone on three months very well as it is." ¡¡¡¡ "Yes--he agrees to my living as I choose; but I feel it is an indulgence I ought not to exact from him. It ought not to have been accepted by me. To reverse it will be terrible--but I must be more just to him. O why was I so unheroic!" ¡¡¡¡ "What is it you don't like in him?" asked Mrs. Edlin curiously. ¡¡¡¡ "I cannot tell you. It is something ... I cannot say. The mournful thing is, that nobody would admit it as a reason for feeling as I do; so that no excuse is left me." ¡¡¡¡ "Did you ever tell Jude what it was?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Kitchen Maid